If you have a salt lamp in your home, your cat's life could be in danger even if you enjoy the ambience from the natural Himalayan salt crystals. Salt lamps are all the rage, and they most often come with a dimmer switch and a wooden base. They live on nightstands and other areas of the home to combat things like seasonal affective disorder, low energy levels, and those looking to soak up the positive air ions, if you believe that sort of thing of true Himalayan salt.
These lamps, made out of giant hunks of pink Himalayan salt, are reported to have various health benefits such as improving sleep, increasing blood flow, and even easing the symptoms of asthma or allergies. Problem is, while your salt lamp may have health benefits for you, it could actually jeopardize your cat's life. Better pick a better lamp for that spare light bulb you have around.
"Himalayan salt lamps act as an air ionizer, spreading negative ions that can help counteract and neutralize this radiation. In combination with spending time in nature, using a Himalayan pink salt rock lamp could help balance positive and negative ions."
These pink salt crystals are mined in the Himalayan mountains. Essentially the rock salt lamp detoxifies the air and creates a sense of balance via water vapor!
Too much salt though is poisonous for both dogs and cats. Salt poisoning can cause serious symptoms in your pet, like vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, lethargy, and even death. Now, cats and dogs do need some salt, in moderation, to keep their bodies functioning. However, the recommended maximum daily salt intake for a cat is 16.7 mg.
Salt lamps are trending and a part of the home decor for many cat-friendly homes. They provide a light source but how exactly do they work? Fans of Himalayan pink salt lamps (HPS lamps) claim that the negative salt ions released by heating are part of salt therapy. These crystal salt lamps can increase levels of serotonin in the brain. They also act as air purifiers and help with overall air quality. The underlying theme for these salt crystal lamps is wellbeing as they provide a natural calm for those near them.
The problem is that salt lamps are often kept in areas that cats can access. A dog isn't likely to hop up on a table to check out your salt lamp, but your cat just may. Cat owners have found their cats licking their salt lamps, and it's entirely possible for a cat to ingest more than the recommended daily maximum of salt by licking a lamp.
Will your cat automatically get salt poisoning because of your salt lamp? No, but it's important to be aware of this risk, especially if your cat is the curious type who likes to check out new objects in your home. It's best to position your salt lamp so that it's out of your cat's reach, or keep it in a room that your cat doesn't have access to.
Don't use these in your bedroom if your cat sleeps there, instead put this lamp in your living room! The gradual sense of tranquility and the therapeutic glow of orange hues you get from this natural Himalayan salt lamp will reinforce the overall health benefits. But it may even be better as a night light to ensure the safety of your cat!
As a side note, those cute salt dough ornaments that you see people make with their pet's paw prints? Also a bad idea. Your pet is likely to lick their paws after you've pressed them into the dough, and they'll ingest a hefty dose of salt.
Take the health claims seriously. The health benefits around these natural salt crystals are wonderful but consider your feline friend!
If you suspect your pet has salt poisoning, take him to your vet immediately.
Do you have a salt lamp? What do you think about this advice? Let us know in the comments below.
WATCH NOW: Able the Two-Legged Cat Proves Handicaps Can Be Overcome