This kind of reaction is one in a million.
A woman in Ohio ended up with a terrible infection from her dog's saliva. It started with flu-like symptoms and she slipped into a coma. Her infectious disease team at the hospital confirmed that the infection was caused by her dog!
This infection is called Capnocytophaga, a blood infection that originates in the mouths of dogs and cats. In rare cases, it spreads to humans through bites, scratches or close contact with the infected animals.
Ohio woman, Marie Trainer immediately needed surgery. Multiple limbs needed to be partially removed. What's amazing is her positive outlook after this horrible ordeal. She loves her dogs and cannot wait to spend time with them at home.
ABC News reported after interviewing Trainer's family that they didn't initially know what was causing the infection.
"We didn't know if she was going to live or die because we didn't know what was causing this," Premier said. "We didn't know what it was but the bacteria that was causing this was causing her limbs to die."
The article also shared that most people who have contact with a dog or cat do not become sick, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). In June 2018, a Wisconsin man had his legs amputated just below the knee and his forearms amputated after he was infected with capnocytophaga, according to the Associated Press.
Her family launched a GoFundMe campaign to help pay for her hospital bills. Let's help her out!
So it's not exactly true to say our dogs have super clean mouths.
Dog saliva literally resulted in partial amputations. This severe infection led to horrible things! I'm definitely not saying don't let your dog lick you but just knowing this is eye-opening.
Had you heard of this infection before? Please leave a comment below.
Love reading about pets?
Don't miss a story! Sign up for daily stories delivered to your inbox.