Dog days at the ballpark is my kind of event. Some of the dogs were dressed up to celebrate their team and others simply took naps in their owner's laps during the game. Nine innings can feel like they go on forever!
The Chicago Tribune interviewed Sox fan Mark Ibach, who has owned five basset hounds since he started bringing his dogs to the park in 1997. He brought two of his hounds to the game this year,
"I've had a banner for all my dogs that we parade around (with) for the pregame parade, and it has the dogs' names on it. Each banner features the names of the bassets he owned at the time, and last year he took a picture with Sox pitching coach Don Cooper as each man held one side, and he uses the pic as a Christmas card."
Some of the dogs enjoy hot dogs.
Can it be Dog Day every day? Asking for a friend.
Posted by Chicago White Sox on Tuesday, April 30, 2019
The rules are appropriate to keep everything safe for the fans. All dogs must remain on a leash at all times.
Owners should use good judgment regarding the temperament of their dogs and you must pick up after them! Veterinarians will be on hand in case of an injury or emergency.
Chicago White Sox fans look forward to this day all year. Other ballparks that host dog days include:
- Detroit Tigers: The Tigers are hosting "Bark at the Park" nights
- Houston Astros: World Series champs will host their annual Dog Day at Minute Maid Park
- Kansas City Royals: The Royals host "Bark at The Park" events at Kauffman Stadium
- Oakland Athletics: The A's annual Bark at the Park event includes a Pup Parade on the field
- Seattle Mariners: Like the Royals, the Seattle Mariners are also hosting "Bark at the Park" nights this season
- Tampa Bay Rays: Rays fans won't have to wait long to take their pups to Tropicana Field! The park will host a "Dog Day at the Rays"
- Texas Rangers: The Rangers "Bark in the Park" includes a pre-game dog parade around the warning track.
This year's White Sox Dog Day was clearly a success! Now I need to research whether or not you can bring your dog to spring training! I used to live in Chicago and I didn't have the pleasure of sharing my life than with a dog but this home game event would have been at the top of my list. My dogs would wear White Sox hoodies to the game!
Would you bring your dog to the ballpark if you had the opportunity? Please leave us a comment below.