What is a group of flamingos called?
flamingos are so graceful tbh pic.twitter.com/XW90Fr8fnR
— lydia🕊very gorgeous to me era (@crawfsgolbach) September 21, 2020
- There are only four species in the Americas.
- Flamingos live in large flocks (like chickens!) in aquatic areas.
- A group of flamingos is called a 'pat'.
- Flamingos are known as wading birds.
- If you're a science nerd, then you should know that flamingos are in the genus Phoenicopterus and family Phoenicopteridae.
- Flamingos filter-feed on shellfish. (Yes, we're looking up what 'filter-feed' means)
- It is the shellfish and shrimps that flamingos eat that give them their pink color.
It appears these birds have TWO names when they're in a group: pat and flamboyance. We hadn't heard of either before doing this research about large groups.
It's also possible to have a flock of flamingos. How cool is the fact about how a pink flamingo actually turns pink?
We love all types of bird species and the hummingbird is our fave. Pelicans are also top on the list.
Have you ever seen a flamingo in person? Please leave us a comment below!