For many pets and owners, trips to the vet can be a less than an enjoyable event. Fortunately, there is another option.
Taking your pet to the vet can be a stressful experience. From getting them into the car to trying to get them into the examination room, it can almost seem like more trouble than it's worth. That's where veterinary house calls come in.
However, before you schedule time for a vet to come to your house, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
Pros of Veterinary House Calls
- Less stress: Having a vet come to your house means that you don't have to bring your pet through the stress of getting to the clinic.
- Convenience: If you have mobility issues or simply don't have an easy way of getting to the vet, a house call is a great option.
- Multiple pets: If you have multiple pets and it is difficult to bring them in all at once, having a vet come to your house is the perfect solution.
- Observation: Having your vet observe your pet in its natural environment can actually help them get to the bottom of whatever issue your pet is having.
Cons of Veterinary House Calls
- Expense: Having a vet come to your home often comes with a fee higher than a traditional visit.
- Few diagnostic and treatment options: As your vet won't be able to bring an entire clinic to your house, your pet won't have access to the same scope of treatment options. That means if a serious issue presents itself, you may still need to take your pet to the clinic.
- Potentially less thorough exam: There's a chance that your home will not offer all of the same fixtures that a clinic's examination room does, such as a high table and strong light. It may be helpful to talk to your vet beforehand and see how you can best prepare the house for their visit.
As you can see, there is a lot to consider when deciding whether or not you should schedule a home visit for your pet. If you have any questions or would like more help deciding if it's the right option for you and your pet, your vet is the best person to speak to.
Does your pet receive veterinary house calls? Tell us about your experience in the comments!
WATCH NOW: Why Pets Are the Best