- This breed loves kids -- as long as they treat her with the queen-like respect she deserves.
- One of the most famous Snowshoes is Dusty the Klepto Kitty -- a domestic feline known for stealing more than 600 items from his neighbors, from bathing suits to dish towels!
- Snowshoe kittens are born completely white. As they age and reach maturity, their point color begins to develop.
History of the Snowshoe cat breed
The Spruce Pets tells us that this breed dates back to the 1960s. An American breeder of Siamese cats, Dorothy Hinds-Daugherty, discovered three kittens in one of her litters that all had four white paws. The paws, combined with the striking Siamese 'Pointed' markings, really caught her eye. She decided she was going to cross these Siamese with a Domestic Short-haired Cat with tuxedo markings, in an attempt to develop this look.
According to Hill's Pet experts, if a snowshoe becomes part of your family, it won't take long before you recognize just how much she loves her people.
"Because she is such an intelligent creature, the snowshoe can cause a bit of mischief, so keep her occupied with a rotating collection of fun cat toys that hold her interest, especially when you are away from home. Athletic and speedy, she'll benefit from cat exercises and will appreciate a fast chase around the house, so go ahead and throw her toy mouse across the room. You'll be amazed at how quickly she runs after it."
Snowshoe cat personality
They're very talkative but have a different voice and tone than Siamese.
"Anyone looking for an aloof, standoffish cat need not apply for Snowshoe ownership," says Animal Planet. "Fanciers claim that snowshoes don't realize that they're cats; they consider themselves people."
When she does greet you at the door after you've been away, expect her to chatter on about what she's been up to while you were out, a feature inherited from her Siamese genes.
Quick facts about their coat
A pointed cat has a light-colored body that is punctuated by dark areas (points) that come in colors such as chocolate, cream, red, lilac, blue, fawn, seal and cinnamon. The point locations are ears, tail, a raccoon-like mask around the eyes, and legs.
Always buy your Snowshoe cat from a reputable breeder.
Other fun facts:
- This cat breed and their magical blue eyes is the reason I'd become a cat owner!
- The Snowshoe Cat Breed is very vocal, so make sure you enjoy a chatty cat while you do research.
- One of pop culture's most famous cats, Grumpy Cat (whose real name is Tardar Sauce), bears some resemblance to a Snowshoe, but her owners say she's a mixed breed.
- The CFA, the International cat association, American Cat Fanciers Association or Cat Fanciers Federation (CFF) can provide more information about a Siamese breeder, cat personality, Siamese kittens, cat breeders, the American Shorthair, Oriental Shorthairs, Siamese ancestors, breed standards, and purebred cats.
Are you lucky enough to live with a Snowshoe cat? If you do, tell us what they're like below in the comments!