In the film 'The Sandlot', the dog also known as 'the Beast', is a junkyard dog supposedly so big and dangerous that he becomes a neighborhood legend.
Hercules, a.k.a. The Beast, is the gang's biggest threat throughout the movie but was really a sweetheart.
Pet Connection provides a summary if you haven't seen this cult classic:
"The gang initially thought that there was a Gorilla-like dog lurking on the other side of the sandlot. According to Legend, The Beast once ate a humongous pile of flesh, thus turning into a giant. He would kill anyone who dared enter into his lot! Unfortunately, the boys' baseball fell into the giant's domain. The kids tried their best to retrieve the ball, but the behemoth demolished all their attacking devices and techniques."
What kind of dog is in the movie 'Sandlot'?
'The Beast' is an English Mastiff.
Who is 'Hercules' in real life?
Pet Comments explains that the herculean canine is a purebred English Mastiff. Gunner, the canine actor, played this character!
"Although Hercules' character was played by two Mastiffs, there is one particular pooch who played it primarily. That guy is none other than Gunner from Ch. Mtn. Oaks Ranch. It was Gunner who hoarded baseballs, thwarted the gang's schemes, and chased Benny."
Gunner was said to be a natural entertainer, according to his owner.
Are English Mastiffs good family dogs?
Wide Open Pets reported that the Mastiff's roots go back to ancient civilizations.
"Mastiffs come in apricot, brindle, and fawn coloring with a black mask and can weigh anywhere from 120 to 230 pounds, but despite their warrior pasts, Mastiffs are generally good-natured peaceful family-oriented dogs."
It's hard to differentiate between Mastiffs and the Bullmastiff but weight is clearly how you can tell them apart.
What about the cast?
- Tom Guiry as Scott Smalls
- David Mickey Evans as adult Scott Smalls (narrator, voice-only)
- Arliss Howard as adult Scott Smalls (live action, uncredited)
- Mike Vitar as Benjamin "Benny" Franklin Rodriguez
- Pablo Vitar as adult Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez
- Patrick Renna as Hamilton "Ham" Porter
- Chauncey Leopardi as Michael "Squints" Palledorous
- Marty York as Alan "Yeah-Yeah" McClennan
- Brandon Quintin Adams as Kenny DeNunez
- Grant Gelt as Bertram Weeks
- Victor Di Mattia as Timmy Timmons
- Shane Obedzinski as Tommy "Repeat" Timmons
- Karen Allen as Mrs. Smalls
- Denis Leary as Bill
- James Earl Jones as Mr. Mertle
- Marley Shelton as Wendy Peffercorn
- Art LaFleur as The Babe
- Wil Horneff as Phillips
The Sandlot kids ended up falling in love with this Mastiff. Most of these scenes were filmed in Utah where it was hot!
Do you know anyone that lives with a Mastiff? Let us know what characteristics you love about this breed!
WATCH NOW: Coonhounds are the floppiest
Love reading about pets?
Don't miss a story! Sign up for daily stories delivered to your inbox.