This video is a wonderful tribute to those dogs that were heroes. So many children lost parents that day and spouses never returned home.
Dogington Post also wrote a wonderful collection of stories about the search and rescue dogs sent to the site and they will never be forgotten. Here's a snapshot thanks to their wonderful piece.
- Bretagne: She worked at Ground Zero for 10 days both rescuing survivors and recovering bodies.
- Riley: Trained to find live people, this dog provided comfort for everyone there.
- Coby & Guinness: They were there for 11 days and worked 12 shifts and worked as a team.
- Appollo: This dog was the first to arrive to the site 15 minutes after the attack.
- Thunder: A search and rescue dog that specialized in avalanches and possible drownings.
- Sage: Was at the Pentagon after the 9/11 attacks and sniffed out the body of the terrorist responsible.
- Trakr: This dog found the last survivor of the 9/11 attacks at the World Trade Center.
- Jake: He worked tirelessly for 17 days at The World Trade Center.
These are just highlights but spend a few minutes watching today.
Everyone in New York will never forget seeing these hero dogs every day as they went to work after the 9/11 attacks. Some of the breeds were German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, and Labrador Retrievers. Some specialized in finding human remains or trained as search and rescue dogs. Many participated in the rescue operations for many months following the attacks.
How are you spending 9/11 memorializing those we lost? Please leave a comment below.
This article was originally published September 11, 2019.