If your pet snake bites you, there is no need to panic.
Though snake bites sound scary, the most important thing to do if your pet snake bites you is to simply keep calm. While many people believe you have to suck the venom out of a snakebite, this is unnecessary, as pet snakes aren't venomous. The best pet snakes that are safe to own include the California king snake, corn snakes, and ball pythons. Some super venomous snakes include coral snakes, water moccasins, and pit vipers, so stay away from having these in captivity. In fact they are illegal to own in most places.
READ MORE: How to Care for a Pet Snake
According to Dr. Mark Magazu, Chairman of the Saint Francis Veterinary Center, most pet snakes bite by accident, and the non-venomous snake will usually disengage quickly. Once this happens, it is important to wash the bite with soap and water, as snakes do carry bacteria in their mouths, including salmonella. Once you pat the bite site dry, call your doctor for further treatment instructions for non-venomous snake bites, especially if there is significant swelling.
No one wants to get bitten by their snake, but if you know how to handle the bad times, you can simply enjoy the good times with your pet.
Have you ever gotten bit by your pet snake? Tell us in the comments below.
WATCH NOW: Learn About the Hognose Snake!