Attention all Golden Retrievers lovers: mark your calendars as February 3rd is National Golden Retriever Day! Meet 10 Goldies that are downright celebratin'!
For Goldie lovers, this is the best day of the year: February 3rd is National Golden Retriever Day, which is also International Golden Retriever Day! What's better than a day to fully celebrate your favorite dog breed, the humble Golden Retriever! Even though (as every Goldie owner knows) every day is 'Golden Retriever Day'.
Turning 9 this year, National Golden Retriever Day was created in 2012 by Kristen Shroyer at iheartgoldenretrievers.com, a blog bringing together members of the Golden Retriever community and celebrating the sweet, golden-haired doggy. Shroyer started this day after realizing there wasn't an official day to celebrate her favorite dog breed while there was a day to celebrate, pretty much, everything else. With a little help via social media, National Golden Retriever Day was born! February 3rd was chosen as the date because it was the birthday of Quincey, Shroyer's own beloved Golden -- sadly, Quincey is no longer with us, but this day still serves as a celebration of how great this breed is!
But don't just take our word for it: check out this cutest compilation of these 10 Goldies who, quite honestly, is killin' it in celebrating this day in style!
1. The happiest Goldie that's just glad to be at the party.
2. This Golden boy who's ready now that he's gathered ALL the toys in the house.
3. The Goldie that's more than ready to receive any presents.
4. This Golden puppy who doesn't understand why she has to share the day with her big sister.
5. The Goldie that knows it's also okay to give back.
6. These two Goldens that are obviously ready to party!
7. The Golden Retriever that's simply happy to be adored.
8. The Goldie that knows life with a Golden is always "golden"!
9. The Goldie that knows 'National Golden Retriever Day' must mean one thing: TREATS.
10. The Golden that won't move after a long day of partying.
Originating from Scotland, the Golden Retriever has roots dating back to the 1800s. First bred by Sir Dudley Marjoribanks, who was the first Lord Tweedmouth, the breed was developed by crossbreeding the Yellow Retriever and the now extinct Tweed Water Spaniel.
Today, they're a very popular breed in the United States of America: Goldies rank a steady #3 in American Kennel Club's annual list of 'Most Popular Dog Breeds'. This popular dog has been admired by many dog lovers for years: all boasting their amazing personalities and intelligence -- not to mention, a Golden Retriever puppy is usually on every kid's Christmas wishlist!
Are you going to celebrate 'National Golden Retriever Day'? Let us know and share your Goldie with us on the Wide Open Pets Facebook Page!