If your dog eats something he shouldn't, making him throw up is not always the answer.
Most pet owners know that you can safely induce vomiting in a dog by administering hydrogen peroxide, and with dogs' penchant for eating things they shouldn't, this is a useful tip. However, not every situation can be solved by inducing vomiting, and sometimes it can even make things worse.
Induce vomiting only if:
- The substance ingested was poisonous
- The substance was ingested recently (less than an hour ago)
- The dog is asymptomatic, or not yet showing signs of the poisoning
- The dog doesn't have medical problems (collapsing trachea etc.) or conformation that would make him at risk for inhaling the vomit into his lungs like brachycephalic breeds, including: English bulldogs, Pekingese, Boston Terriers, Pugs, etc.
Do not induce vomiting if your dog has ingested any of the following:
- Acids, such as bleach and drain cleaners
- Alkalis, like ammonia and laundry detergents
- Motor oil gas
- Paint, Paint Thinner or Paint Remover
- Lighter Fluid
- Caladium, Dieffenbachia, Philodendron, Jerusalem Cherry, Nightshade or Mother-in-Law's Tongue/Snake Plant
- Raw potato
If your dog has ingested any of these, call your vet immediately. The same goes for cats that have ingested a poisonous substance, as there is no at-home product that can safely induce vomiting in cats.
Making your pet throw up is not always the answer, but whether you are administering hydrogen peroxide or dialing your vet's number, your quick action may be saving your pet's life.