This Kuhli Loach has an eel body shape, and they are scavengers making them great aquarium cleaners. The advantage of this Loach over others is its size. It rarely grows over 3-5 inches in length, and they don't create much waste.
- They are better suited for experienced aquarists because they are prone to diseases. They have a head with no scales, and they are very sensitive to medications.
- If properly cared for Kuhli Loaches can live for at least 10 years.
- The Kuhli Loach is a peaceful fish. Although they are not a schooling fish, they are more comfortable with some companions. They can be very shy and you will hardly see them if left alone in your aquarium.
View this post on Instagram
"This is not what it looks like - we are just friends..." ? . #betta #bettafishtank #bettatank #bettasofinstagram #bettacommunity #bettaworld #bettasplendens #bettaholic #bettafishcommunity #fish #fishtank #fishtanks #fishtanksofinstagram #fishkeeping #tropicalfish #tropicalfishtank #plantedtank #plantedaquarium #aquarium #aquariums #aquariumfish #aquariumhobby #aquariumfishtank #shrimptank #aquascaping #freshwaterfish #freshwaterfishtank #freshwateraquarium #kuhliloach #loach
According to Fish Keeping World, the Kuhli Loach is a peaceful aquarium fish. They are more comfortable with some companions, but can be very shy amongst the others.
- They are very quiet during the day, then come night-time they are active. They are known as demersal fish.
- This means they spend their time near the river bed, scavenging food that sinks to the bottom.
- In your aquarium, they will have similar behavior. They will spend most of their time at the bottom of the tank scavenging in the substrate for food.
- They are very curious fish and will appreciate caves and crevices to hide in.
What do Kuhli Loach Fish eat?
What about fish food for these bottom dwellers? What about Kuhli Loach care, water conditions, and their natural habitat?
They are omnivores! Live foods are the preferred diet for Coolie Loaches. They'll accept a variety of foods, including frozen, freeze-dried, tablets, wafers and flake food. You should feed them at night.
When it comes to live foods, bloodworms are readily accepted as well as glass worms, tubifex, and daphnia. Frozen versions of these foods are the next best option. Feed live or frozen foods a couple of times per week to augment dry foods.
View this post on Instagram
: ? Nom : Pangio Kuhlii Famille : Cobotidés Origine : Indonésie ?? et Thaïlande ?? Biotope : Asiatique Taille : 12cm Volume : 120l Nombre : 6 minimum Température : 24° à 30° PH : 5.5 à 7.0 GH : 1° à 8°d #aquarium #aquariophilie #naia_aquario #france #picardie #oise #chantilly #gouvieux #eaudouce #aquariumdeaudouce #aquariumeaudouce #aquariophiliefrance #aquariumfrance #aquariumoise #aquariumpicardie #poisson #fish #kuhli #kuhlii #kuhliloach #kuhliloaches #kuhliloachfish #serpents #serpent #pangio #pangiokuhlii #asiatique #kuhliis #snake #snakes
The Spruce Pets explains that fish keepers need to make sure the tank is tightly covered as Coolie Loaches will jump out of the tank, particularly when startled!
"They will tolerate a range of water parameters but prefer water on the acidic side and slightly cooler temperatures in the mid-70s. The smooth substrate is a must as these fish love to burrow and can be injured if the substrate has rough edges. Sand is the preferred substrate for these fish, but small smooth gravel will also suffice."
Breed overview and habitat requirements
- Common names: Kuhli Loach, Coolie Loach, Khuli Loach, Prickly Eye.
- Scientific names: Pangio kuhlii.
- Size: 4 inches.
- Life span can be up to 10 years.
- Minimum tank size: 15 gallons.
- Remember when you set up your home aquarium that these are bottom dwellers.
- Rocks, driftwood, and caves are all the excellent decor for Coolie Loaches.
- The Kuhli Loach tank can be a community tank but make sure tankmates are non-aggressive fish.
- They enjoy hiding places! Find lots of live plants, fine gravel, and java ferns.
- What about water changes, water quality, and water levels? The temperature should be 75-86 degrees Fahrenheit (24-30 degrees Celsius)
Avoid keeping Coolies with large or territorial freshwater fish, such as Cichlids; instead choose small fish such as Corydoras, Danios, Rasboras, and Tetras.
Please leave us a comment below and let us know what you think of your fish tank?
Love reading about pets?
Don't miss a story! Sign up for daily stories delivered to your inbox.