How adorable are baby hummingbirds? I see pics on Instagram of babies falling out of nests and folks trying to rescue them. Hummingbirds usually lay two eggs, and they're the size of a jellybean. These baby birds are tiny!
Have you ever seen a hummingbird egg hatch? We found some YouTube videos you must watch. First some facts in case you don't know a lot about these amazing birds, courtesy of Birds And Blooms.
Hummingbird Nest Facts
- Females build their nests 10 to 90 feet high, generally in trees or shrubs (with a few exceptions).
- Hummingbirds build velvety, compact cups with spongy floors and elastic sides that stretch as the young grow. They weave together twigs, plant fibers, and bits of leaves, and use spider silk as threads to bind their nests together and anchor them to the foundation.
- Hummingbird eggs are about the size of navy beans. Most females lay two eggs, which they incubate for 15 - 18 days.
- Juvenile hummingbirds fledge (leave the nest) 18 to 28 days after hatching.
Baby Hummingbird Hatches From Egg
Bird Eden tells us that hummingbirds nest where they'll get protection from the sun, wind and predators. Their nests are so tiny and delicate that an appropriate place has to be found.
"Their nests are cup-shaped. The female spends many hours in a week to build her nest. The nesting materials commonly used are spider silk cotton fibers, plant downs, feathers, and moss to camouflage."
More facts after watching these beautiful videos:
- The nest of a hummingbird is only about 1 - 2 inches in diameter.
- Nesting site: Hummingbirds are known to steal nesting material from the nests of other hummingbirds.
- Babies hatch: But during the period of nesting, it is the females who are the real heroes. The males do not chip in for any contribution from their end.
- Hummingbirds nest: Hummingbird eggs are cradled in soft fluffy fibers that hummingbirds choose from plants nearby.
- Ruby-throated hummingbird females attach their nests with spider silk to a small twig or branch that slants downward and covers the outside with greenish-gray lichens.
- Rufous hummingbirds, a western species, are very pugnacious around the nest, often driving away much larger birds.
- Anna's hummingbird females build a mere platform as early as December to lay her eggs.
- Hatchlings: Juvenile hummingbirds fledge (leave the nest) 18 to 28 days after hatching.
Did you need to find a baby hummingbird a new home? Leave a comment below!
Watch Now: Everything You Need to Know About Budgerigars
Love reading about pets?
Don't miss a story! Sign up for daily stories delivered to your inbox.