You may think if you've seen one birdhouse, you've seen them all... but you haven't seen bird houses like this before!
These special birdhouses (some of them are bird palaces) take your ordinary birdhouse up a notch or two (or four, or ten).
From the intricate to the supersized, find a must-have birdhouse on this list, and get inspired to provide a home sweet home for some very lucky birds.
Why put up a birdhouse?
1. Birds are great insect-eaters, so attracting birds like the purple martin to your property with a martin house will help to reduce pesky mosquitoes and other bugs around your home and garden. In addition to purple martins, blackbirds, bluebirds, sparrows, crows, cardinals, chickadees, nuthatches, grosbeaks, woodpeckers, and wrens all eat insects and will appreciate a birdhouse.
2. A birdhouse also gives you the chance to observe birds that won't come to bird feeders. Bluebirds are a gorgeous bird that you will never spot at a feeder because they eat insects and berries.
You will spot them if you put up a nest box though!
3. Birds raise their families in birdhouses: one of the joys of birdhouse ownership is the sight of baby fledglings learning to fly for the first time.
In areas where bird habitat (woods and meadows) is not sufficient, by putting up a simple bluebird house or a birdhouse you're providing much needed nesting box for birds to raise their young.
4. Colorful red cardinals, yellow goldfinches, and bluebirds add color and movement to your home and garden.
Finally, many wild birds are musical. When you create a nest box or birdhouse for a family of birds you will likely enjoy the pleasant ambiance of bird song around your home.
Need a guide to identifying your bird friends? Check out Peterson's Field Guide from Amazon.
READ MORE: How to Make Nutritious Bird Bread
Want to buy a birdhouse on our list? Click the link below each picture to buy. Want to try building your own birdhouse? Extreme Birdhouses sells plans, and also check out free and simple bird house plans from the very old "Bird Houses Boys Can Build" by Albert Siepert (1916).
1. Fill a House with Love and It Becomes a Home
2. May Your Home Always Be Too Small to Hold All of Your Friends
3. Home Wasn't Built in a Day
4. May Love Be the Heart of This Home
5. A House Is Made of Bricks and Beams, But a Home is Made of Hopes and Dreams
6. It's Not How Big the House Is, It's How Happy the Home Is
7. What I Love Most About My Home Is Who I Share It With...
8. "May your walls know joy, may every room hold laughter, and every window open to great possibility." -Mary Anne Rademacher
9. Travel the world in search of what you need and return home to find it.
10. In Our Home Let Love Abide to All that Step Inside
11. Home is Where the (He)art Is
12. Home Tweet Home
13. When There Is Love in the Home There is Joy in the Heart
14. "He is happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds peace in his home." -Goethe
15. Finally, remember the best journey always takes you home.
Does this inspire you to build your own birdhouse? Do you have one already? Tell us in the comments below!
WATCH NOW: Budgerigars Are Little Birds!