Need a good fish name? Let's "dive in" on 60 great ideas!
Just get an aquarium and starting to add fish? We compiled a comprehensive list of names if you're racking your brain for the perfect fish name! It doesn't matter what type of fish you have; Betta fish, blue fish, clownfish, freshwater or saltwater, no new pet is truly "home" without the perfect name.
Here's our list of fish names, starting with icons like Sebastian or Flounder from Disney's 'The Little Mermaid'!
Famous fish names
- Dory from Finding Nemo
- Nemo (for obvious reasons)
- Flounder from Little Mermaid
- Mrs. Puff from SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squirtle from Pokémon
- Marlin from Finding Nemo
- Larry from Shark Tales
- Willie (Yes, another whale, but still a great name.)
Male fish names
We think movies and actors that are trending always make perfect male names.
- Han Solo
- Brad Pitt
- Liam Hemsworth
- Zac Efron
- Bradley Cooper
- Josh Lucas
Female fish names
I suppose you could just pick female characters from the latest Marvel movies.
- Emilia Clarke
- Jennifer Aniston
- Reese Witherspoon
- Olivia Wilde
- Natalie Portman
- Princess Leia
- Laura Croft
- Black Widow
- Wonder Woman
Clever fish names
This is our fave category of all the ones listed! If you have a pair of fish like guppies consider these names.
- Bonnie and Clyde
- Tic and Tac
- Splish and Splash
- Ebb and Flow
- Han Solo and Chewbacca
- Phineas and Ferb
- Beyonce and Jay-Z
- Aqua and Fina
- Sea and Weed
- High Tide and Low Tide
Totally Random Fish Names We Love
- Fishy (Yes, we LOVE it.)
Some pet fish names you might consider don't have anything to do with fish Harry, Gandalf, Casper, Kiko, Astro, Roxy, Edward, Cudi, Hulk, or Neptune!
How to come up with fish names of your own?
PetHelpful.com has great suggestions if you want to come up with your own pet name, perfectly suited for goldfish to angelfish, and everything in between:
- Physical Appearance: What does your fish look like? You can think of some really creative things associated with its color or its size. Is it red? Name it Fire Engine or Sriracha. Is it colorful? Name it Unicorn or Skittles. What if it's a fat fish? Name it Balloon or Blimp.
- Personality: Fish have personalities too! Is your guy a fighter or a chill fish who just likes hanging out? If he or she is feisty, name them Fiesta or Ruckus.
- T.V. or Movie Characters: You can name your pet after a character on T.V. or the big screen that you really love. How about Indiana Jones or Rey from Star Wars?
If it was us, we'd probably name all our species of fish after Star Wars characters.
Know any other hilarious fish names we miss? Share your swimmers on our Wide Open Pets Facebook!
This article was originally published October 22, 2019.
Love reading about pets?
Don't miss a story! Sign up for daily stories delivered to your inbox.