This is one of the world's most popular reptiles! Crested geckos are perfect for those who want a pet they can handle and they require minimum care. We found a ton of YouTube videos about this reptile and there are a ton of pet enthusiasts that want to show off their geckos. Crested geckos are originally from New Caledonia. They are primarily tree dwellers, they make outstanding displays in naturalistic vivariums.
They're easy to care for as they're 'room temperature' pets and you don't need supplemental heat and UV lights like Beardies. They're nocturnal reptiles, too. There are so many reasons to own a crested gecko and we're now big fans. They almost take care of themselves. Just be prepared to mist them a few times a day.
Here is what you need to know to get started!
What do crested geckos live in?
They are fine in a 20-gallon tank. Some people even use paper towels as a substrate. Joshfrogs.com tells us that a single crested gecko adult or pair can be housed in a 20-gallon tank or 18 x 18 x 18 terrarium.
"Keeping crested geckos together in an enclosure before they're adults can be a tricky business for the inexperienced keeper: we do not recommend housing young crested geckos together as they can be territorial and aggressive towards one another; even juveniles and subadults can display aggression towards one another."
They enjoy climbing so they'll need some wood branches and plants. Experts also recommend Coco Fiber or reptile carpet as the substrate. No lighting or heating as we already mentioned which makes these little reptiles a super easy pet to take care of and of course a bowl of clean water.
The Spruce Pets also shared that humidity needs to be considered.
"Crested geckos need a moderate to high humidity level; aim for 60 to 80 percent relative humidity (get a hygrometer and monitor levels daily). Provide humidity with regular misting with warm filtered water. Depending on your cage set-up you may need to mist it a few times a day to keep the humidity up."
What do crested geckos eat?
They don't need insects every day! They need a fruit mix which we outline below. Many reptiles require a daily variety of insects but not these guys! It just takes a few seconds to feed.
All the experts talk about a few different feeding options. Crested geckos feed on both fruit and insects in the wild. Pangea and Repashy fruit mixes offer a tailored and excellent staple for these geckos. It's stored as a powder, and it can be mixed with water in a squeeze bottle and offered in a small plastic feeding cup.
They can also be fed crickets.
What about that tail?
These tails don't grow back! Crested geckos may drop their tails if handled roughly or to attempt to get away, but unlike other geckos, they will not regenerate their tails.
When is a crested gecko full grown and how long will it live?
They come in a variety and colors and patterns! The video below shows a lot of different types. There are SO many.
- Lifespan: They will live for 10-20 years.
- Adult size: They will reach a moderate size of 4 to 4.5 inches snout-to-vent length, and 8 inches in total length.
I love this video from D?v Kaufman's Reptile Adventures YouTube channel and it's fabulous!
This pet reptile is a great candidate for folks that are just beginning and curious!
So a brief summary for readers!
- Don't forget about live plants and branches as they like to climb.
- Crested gecko care is low maintenance compared to Beardies but do your research.
- Experts all recommended the crested gecko diet we referenced in this story so research that option but it seems like the best brand. Crested gecko food seems super low maintenance.
- Snacks like mealworms and waxworms are OK.
- Always have a clean water bowl in their enclosure.
- Pet stores are a good resource and bring in a list of questions so you can get hands-on advice while you look at some geckos.
- They're nocturnal so will be super active at night time which is super fun if you're a night owl.
- Coconut fiber is a great substrate so add this to your list of essentials.
- You can also consider the leopard gecko too if the crested gecko isn't your fave. Gargoyle geckos are also cool as are eyelash geckos.
- They have a semi-prehensile tail.
Do you live with a gecko? What essentials did we miss? Please leave us a comment below!
WATCH NOW: Bearded Dragons Are Awesome Reptiles!
Love reading about pets?
Don't miss a story! Sign up for daily stories delivered to your inbox.