Did your dog dare to each a peach?
Can dogs eat peaches? Did your furry friend snatch a few slices from your lunch or sneak a whole peach from behind your back? Sometimes, we enjoy feeding our pups human foods or allowing them bites from our lunches, but is it safe for them?
Can Dogs Eat Peaches?
The peach pit, also known as a stone, contains trace amounts of a cyanide compound (similar to apricots) that are poisonous to dogs (and humans!) Cyanide is also present in the stem and leaves of peach trees. Peach stones are also a choking hazard and can induce an intestinal blockage if swallowed. Furthermore, they are gritty and abrasive, which can cause damage to the esophagus and intestines. If you suspect your pooch has eaten an entire peach, including the stone, observe them for any signs of cyanide poisoning, such as salivation and rapid or difficulty breathing.
However, dog owners' good news is that dogs can eat peaches if they avoid the stone! This popular summer fruit has many health benefits and is high in nutrients such as vitamins A and C, antioxidants, and other phytonutrients. They're both higher in fiber and sugar than other fruits and berries and can make a healthy snack for your furry friend.
How To Feed Peaches To Your Pup
Despite the immune system boost (especially the vitamin c), human foods and treats should only make up 10% of your dog's diet, with the remaining 90% coming from their dog food. Don't let your dog eat too many high-sugar, high-fiber snacks as they can induce stomach trouble and diarrhea. You should restrict your dog's sweet treats because they can lead to diabetes, obesity, and cavities. Also, do not feed your dog canned peaches as they contain high amounts of preservatives and sugar content in the syrup.
Before feeding peaches to your dog, consult your veterinarian to get their advice on serving size and effect on your dog's digestive system. Remove the stem and leaves, then wash the peach to remove pesticides or other toxins. Make sure to throw away the stone and cut the peach into small chunks. You can either feed your dog the fresh peach chunks or freeze them to make a refreshing treat for hot summer days. Watch for any allergic reactions, such as stomach upset, diarrhea, or other digestive issues.
What foods do your furry friends enjoy? Share with us on the Wide Open Pets Facebook page!