Do you hang hummingbird feeders around your house? We love it when these birds visit us throughout the day. What about baby hummingbirds? I see pics on Instagram of babies falling out of nests and folks trying to rescue them. How do you care for one if it's abandoned?
Hummingbirds usually lay 2 eggs, and they're the size of a jellybean. These baby birds are tiny!
What you should know about baby hummingbirds
Hummingbirds Plus says that out of all the birds, hummingbirds are the smallest. Here are more facts:
- There are 357 different species of hummingbirds.
- When they are born, they are black, and they do not have any hair or feathers.
- Newborn hummingbirds are approximately the same size as a penny. They can fly at 3 weeks of age. Babies become adults in less than one month.
- The bird's heartbeat is approximately 1260 beats per minute. Hummingbirds twitter and chirp, but most species do not sing. It is the sound of wings flapping rapidly that gives this bird its name.
- While hummingbirds are known for hovering and flying, they cannot walk. A hummingbird is the only bird that can fly backward.
- They have fewer feathers than other birds, and they have excellent memories. On average, they visit 1000 flowers each day.
What do you if you find a baby hummingbird?
View this post on Instagram
What an awesome experience, I was able to capture a photo of baby hummingbirds in a nest. Baby humming birds are a joy to watch. If you are one of the few who get to experience this wonder, enjoy it! 🌿💚 #hummingbird #nature #baby #babybird #babyhummingbirds #babyhummingbird #cute #adorable #miracle #rare #green #foliage #santabarbara #california #westcoast #toocute #bird #birds #almostthere
The main predators for hummingbirds are crows, squirrels, and other birds. Hummingbirds will need special care if found out of their nest.
According to Hummingbirds Plus, there are supplies you'll need if they were abandoned.
- Supplies you will need include soap for your hands, a small container, an eyedropper, clean tissue, sugar, and a gooseneck lamp.
- Always clean your hands thoroughly before touching the bird. Prepare a bed for your bird by lining the container with the tissue. The lamp's bulb should be placed approximately 5 inches above the container. The heat from the bulb will keep him warm. The temperature should be between 85 and 90 degrees.
"You'll need to prepare sugar water with 4t. of water and 1 t. sugar. Fledgling and nesting birds will drink it. Offer the sugar water to the bird every half-hour.
When you find a hummingbird, make arrangements with your nearest wildlife center. While you should not try to feed hatchlings, fledgling and nestling birds also need specialized care."
You need to be very careful with the little bird and find an Audubon society nearby. Their body temperature runs very high and you'll need to keep them at that temperature so their body heat doesn't fall dangerously low.
An abandoned baby may need rehabilitation, so don't wait a couple of days. Young hummingbirds will be adults in less than a month; These hummingbird babies aren't young birds for very long. Talk to the rehab clinic on the phone first and let them know the steps you've taken to ensure the little bird receives hummingbird nectar, too. They'll likely have some tips for the little ones while you arrange transport.
Has this ever happened to you? Did you need to find a baby hummingbird a new home?