WATCH NOW:Siamese Cats Have Lots of Different Colorings
The Siamese cat is a living work of art.
The Siamese cat is famous for its striking, aristocratic appearance. Its distinctive color pattern, with contrasts between light and dark, has fascinated people around the world since the breed was first discovered in Thailand, formerly known as Siam.
Siamese cats were first exported from Thailand in the late 1800s, and they were first recognized as a breed by the Cat Fanciers Association (CFA) in 1934. There are different types of Siamese cats, categorized by their colorings.
Siamese cats have a number of health issues you should talk to a reputable breeder about including progressive retinal atrophy. These cats can also be prone to eye and vision problems associated with their blue eyes.
Certapet.com has a guide to this mischievous kitty!
Here are some fun facts about this affectionate cat:
- Siamese cats, thanks to their distinctive looks, feature heavily in popular culture, including Disney's The Aristocats and Lady and the Tramp, and in the beloved children's book, The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford.
- Many other cat breeds are descended from the Siamese cat, including the Colorpoint Shorthair, Bengal Cat, Oriental Shorthair, and Oriental Longhair, among many others.
- Siamese cats descend from an ancient breed of Thai cats, and the name Siamese comes from the old name for Thailand, Siam.
Siamese cats were part of the royal family! This royal cat has a reputation in Britain. Queen Victoria of England was reportedly fond of the breed, and Queen Elizabeth II was given seal point Siamese kittens as a wedding present.
Curious about point colors?
View this post on Instagram
@siamesecat_harleythecat ・・・ #siamesecat #cat #catsofinstagram #cats_of_instagram #catloversclub #cats #siamese #instacat#кошка#gato#catstagram#catlover#catoftheday#catsagram#catlovers#кот#кошки#cutecat#catlove#catlife#кот#meow#kitty#dog#kittens#fotografia#gatos#ориентальныйкот#коты#kittiesofinstagram#ориентальныекошки
The Cat Fanciers Association (CFA) only recognizes the following four coat colors:
- Seal Points: extremely dark brown, almost black.
- Blue Points: a light gray body color with cool, steely gray points,
- Chocolate Points: a lighter brown,
- Lilac Point: a lighter, warmer shade of gray than Blue Points.
This breed is known to be very friendly! If you're a fan of the breed, try visiting a few Siamese cat shows. You'll see the Modern Siamese cat will be there with its amazing personality and muscular body.
Other notable cats? Research the Himalayan, Burmese, Balinese, Tonkinese, Ocicat, and British Shorthair.
Cattime.com tells us,
"The Himalayan, or Himmie for short, is a Persian in traditional Siamese drag, affectionate but discriminating."
Despite their look of superiority, Siamese cats are eager to bond with their caregivers and like to receive affection. They are extremely loyal to their owners and always want to be by their side.
Hover over the image for more information.
Do you have a Siamese? Show us in the comments below!
Body image: Flickr/photodude888
WATCH NOW: Russian Blue Cats Are Stunning