They're smart, sassy, and don't really care what you have to say about...well...anything.
Aside from a general familiarity of their well-known personality and behavioral quirks, how much do you really know about your feline friend?
Here are 20 fun facts about cats that will help you dominate trivia night.
2. Cats cannot taste sweetness. Scientists believe this is likely due to a taste receptor mutation.
3. Female cats tend to be right paw-dominant, while male cats are often left paw-dominant.
4. A group of cats is called a "clowder."
5. On October 24, 1963, the French launched the first cat into space: her name was Felicette (nicknamed "Astronaut") and she survived the trip, which lasted just 15 minutes.
6. The technical term for a hairball is "bezoar."
7. Many cats are lactose intolerant so quit with the milk already!
8. Abraham Lincoln kept four pet cats in the White House.
9. About 40,000 people per year in the U.S. are bitten by cats.
10. Cats sweat through their paws.
13. Cats make over 100 different sounds, whereas dogs make somewhere around 10.
14. Adult cats can leap up to six times their own length.
15. Cats have more than 20 different muscles controlling their ears, which can move separately and 180 degrees.
17. The tufts of hair inside a cat's ears are called "ear furnishings," and they serve a number of important functions: they keep out dirt, direct sounds inward, and insulate.
18. Cats meow to communicate only with humans; they don't meow at each other. Instead, they spit, purr, and hiss.
And there you have it, fellow cat owners. These are all true from tabby cats to black cats to feral cats. Did any surprise you?
Now that you are armed with this interesting (but mostly useless) knowledge, you're primed and ready to show everyone at trivia night what's up. That is, assuming domestic cats pop up as a topic. If not, well, uh, good luck!
Have some other fabulous facts about this popular pet to add to the list? Post them in the comments section!
WATCH NOW: Siamese Cats Have Lots of Different Coloring